Wayne Sings – Wayne 20





[For back story go here: Story so far at 27 July 2020 and more recent Wayne posts especially the last one.]



Word, what’s up you catch me thinking when I’m out

Caught up in the web of what the world’s about

Got my troubles and my soul, not young but not old 

Not me maybe, baby, so the question lies –


Gotta try and crack it darlin’ tell me who am I?


Straight outta concrete crawling up from the flats

Watch out behind me who’s got my back?

Was I always a target and under attack?

Was my family watching me – who’s got my back?

When truth is heard your self-deception dies


But can you help me darlin’? Who am I?


Told I wasn’t yours but you still say I am

Sounds like you’re denying your own fellow man

Ain’t got no one to trust no one will apologies

Come on now world look me right in the eyes

Cos if you don’t I don’t know who to trust or if or why -


Gotta tell me straight darlin’ who am I?


Breaking out all over - sweating down my fears

Breaking out all over - running from my tears

Breaking out all over - holla to the skies

Breaking out all over - leave my surprise


I wanted to ask you a question

Truth and honesty was all my intention

You sit there with that look on your face 

And I wonder, I wonder what’s this disgrace?

Where did you come from, where did I go?

How can you be silent over what you know?

Do I walk out and leave you do I see you again?

You’re offering me nothing are you even a friend?

So your days might be numbered and I get your drift

But are you really going to leave me wondering what if?

I’d call up my mother, brother, uncle, aunt, cousin, buzzing

All them with the same old chant

But let’s face it you’re the gate keeper – so without you I can’t.


Maybe I should have left it but it’s been bugging me

I couldn’t have left it I wouldn’t have been free

I had to seek and I hoped to find

But this ain’t no way to find peace of mind


Have I burned my bridges? Have I gone too far?

Or not far enough? Are there no keys in this car?

Can I drive away or get driven insane

To question again the question that remains?


I’ll go back to my ‘hood back to the flat, back to the people who love me and that,

Cos I don’t know if you’re that

I’ll be back one day and I swear I’ll find out why


You just won’t tell me

Who am I?


—-


“Wicked, amazing and beautiful,” said Cath. “Can I play it at people cos they’ll go for it like nothing on earth.”


“Yeah, sure,” said Wayne. “Actually, no wait. Need a bit more work and another mix over. I ain’t happy with the ‘keys in the car’ bit – could be better.”


“Ever the perfectionist.”


“Well it also sounds like I’m just reaching for a rhyme, you know? It’s not tripping that well.”


“How long until you’ll be good?”


“Give us a day or two.”


Wayne hung up and looked at Dave. 


“It’s good to be back – how cool was that?”


"Superb, congratulations. You want to talk about anything?”


“Don’t think so, you?”


“Just tell me if I ever do anything to annoy you, right? Please don’t write a song about it.”


“Likewise.”


“I don't write songs.”


“Sure, but don’t poison me.”


Comments

  1. Flippin' greet damn brilliant! Give me an idea of a tune and chords, I'd like to imagine singing it - will be accompanied by uke strumming naturally so might not have quite the same vibe but hey ... who's listenin' ?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to ask, comment, request, enquire and anything else!