Worry Ring – Wayne 23



[For back story go here: Story so far at 17 Sept 2020.]


[Back story also found through in-links.]





“How am I meant to get conclusive evidence?” asked Wayne, staring at Dave. “DNA test?”


“Maybe.”


“Not strike you as being a bit intrusive or anything? Or maybe a bit rude? ‘Thanks for getting in touch, mum, give us a swab’?”


“You could pretend it’s a Covid test,” said Cath, “So you can meet up safely.”


“Keep out of this,” warned Wayne.


In truth Wayne wasn’t certain whether he was more disappointed that Cassie might be a con artist or that Dave thought she might be. Whatever the truth was at the end of the day, it meant one thing. No happy ending, and possibly not even a move towards a happy ending. Even if she passed whatever test they devised the fact they did it the fact they doubted her would spoil everything. That and and the fact that he couldn’t hug her either way.


“Maybe I should just ask her a series of very personal detailed questions and see if she answers or avoids answering them? Judge her on how embarrassed she is or how upset I can make her by saying she isn’t who she says she is.”


“I’m not saying she isn’t who she says she is,” said Dave. “I’m just – you know, a classical violinist? Don’t you think it’s a bit… I dunno… I’m just saying you should be cautious.”


“What’s wrong with being a classical violinist?” said Wayne.


Wayne was also thinking that having found the woman who could be his birth mother, he was now about to lose touch with her again through more stringent lockdown restrictions. It wasn’t that he was intending there to be a meeting of more than six people in order to bring his lost family back together again, but all the non-mingling of households was beginning to confuse him.


Not surprisingly, Dave was also anxious over the appearance of new restrictions. The restaurant had been delivering lower revenues with the impact of the pandemic but the latest suggested moves heightened the tension. Thankfully it appeared the virus only affected people before 10pm and if they were standing up (all Dave’s clientele would be seated) but it was just a matter of time, he thought, before that changed too.


“These are strange times,” said Dave. “Who knows what people will do to survive?”


Is that why you want me to sit outside your restaurant so much?” fielded Wayne, looking around the empty patio where they were. “Nice bit of promo – it’s where ManzDown hangs out – is that how you’re surviving?”


“What the..?”


“If you want me to be cautious maybe I shouldn’t be eating out. Maybe I shouldn’t be here.”


“This is completely off the point,” said Dave.


“You’re happy for me to take risks when you benefit...”


“Risk? This isn’t about risk. Have I ever asked you for money?”


“You’re happy to exploit me...”


Dave didn’t want this to go any further. He couldn't work out why this had flared up so suddenly and could only conclude it had been festering in the background. Maybe he shouldn’t dig any deeper right now.


“No more complimentary polenta chips for you, sunshine,” he thought and hoped he hadn’t said out loud.


“I realise this is all a bit complicated, but we do still need to think about the next step for Manz,” said Cath. “Time is of the essence if we want to jump on your current popularity.”


“I think this might just be a time for me to reflect,” began Wayne.


“No - no it isn’t,” said Cath, perhaps a little too keen. “You’re all over the press and charts, we have to strike while the iron is hot.”


“But it’s doing my head in,” said Wayne.


“Put that in a song,” said Cath.


Cath was still keen for the ‘at home’ gig idea to become a reality and had drafted some promotional concepts alongside this. She really needed Wayne to OK them and be on board with the whole timetable, but naturally the emergence of his mum had knocked this off course. And now the question mark over whether this person was taking everyone for a ride or not just made matters more complicated.


“Tell you what,” she said, “Why not take a look at these online ads – just for something different, take your mind off it and everything.”


“What?” Said Wayne. “I don’t want to take my mind off it. It’s just what’s the point?”


“You really need me to tell you that?” deadpanned Cath.


“I’ve got tunes, I’ve got money…”


“Who could ask for anything more..?” murmured Dave.


“My mother is not a distraction, OK? My mother is what I want right now. Family is what I want right now. So how am I meant to get conclusive evidence? DNA test?”


Comments