Talk of the Town – Bentley 25

 



[For back story go here: Story so far at 17 Sept 2020 and especially this one.]

[Relevant back story also in embedded links.]




Bentley and his new found friend were walking down the promenade. 


"So you're Aston's son?" He observed. "Norman."


"Yeah," said Norman. "Not the most exciting name, but you can't choose these things."


"Heard worse," said Bentley.


"I think my dad wanted me to go unnoticed."


"I'd not heard of you."


Norman grimaced.


"And where is Aston these days?"


"Don't know," said Norman. “Don't care. I get the occasional text message but nothing beyond checking that I'm alive. He's not your worry."


“Think he is. He’s want to be the one who abducted me," said Bentley. “Had his heavies give me the third degree and wot not."


"Maybe he did. But the real issue is that Jay has been called."


"Jaggers?" qualified Bentley, just to be certain.


"Right," said Norman. "Stuff has been set in motion. People are aware of you and talking about you.”


“That’s flattering.”


“That's a problem."


"My problem," said Bentley, "Is that I don't know who to trust. Can I even trust you? My own son and grand-daughter claim to be cops. You're telling me Jaggers is after me – Aston’s after me – And the thing is I've been sent something. Something quite significant and to be honest I still have no idea where it came from or why I got it."


"What is it?" asked Norman, off-hand.


"I am not telling you," said Bentley, pointedly.


"I didn't have to get in touch with you,” noted Norman.


"Or maybe someone made you get in touch with me."


"You have to draw a line somewhere Bentley," sighed Norman. "Otherwise you'll never know where to start."


"So where do you think I am?"


"In the middle of a mess," said Norman.


The tale Bentley was told confirmed some of his thoughts and complicated others. The 'ring ring' was indeed a money laundering service. Various criminals contacts favoured this particular circuit, partly because it was so unassuming and unlikely to attract attention, partly because it was a local scheme and even when you did something dodgy part of you wanted to give something back to the local community and (black) economy.


So money would be handed over and a combination of Aston, Knowles and Jagger's businesses would process the cash so that it became untraceable. Large amounts would be split into smaller slices for ease of use and to make the pathways even harder to follow. This became confusing at times with even those involved having difficulty following the money. And then one day Bentley walked in on it. 


He was looking for a ring and arrived at Jagger's shop. So far, so normal. Except that he just happened to have walked in at the point when Jaggers and Aston, in the rear of the shop, were trying to sort out a bit of business. Knowing Bentley of old Aston came to the shop front to server him.


And then things were a little awry. Between his enthusiasm and confusion in the back of the shop, Bentley left with one of the rings that had been under discussion for their business transaction. The ring wasn't outrageously expensive but it had history. It was of an attractive design, identifiable by the placement of three diamonds next to small jet stones. It was only when Bentley had left the premises that they realised what had happened and that it was too late to swap the ring for another.


"But if it was just for a deal, why did it need to be that ring?" asked Bentley.


"Not sure," said Norman. "Maybe it had a specific value, maybe one of them wanted it or had promised it for someone else. Point is you walked out with it."


"It was for Shiela," asserted Bentley.


"And where is it now?" Asked Norman.


"No idea," said Bentley. "Lawrence took it.”


“Why?”


“Money? Because he liked it? Because he didn’t like me? Most likely money.”


"Interesting twist but doesn't get you off the hook."


"Meaning?"


"They've been watching you. For a long time. The ring was one thing, but they're suspicious about what you're up to – and I am a bit too. The great Bentley – mysterious, keeps himself to himself, sometimes has access to cash which exceeds what you'd think he'd have... More to you than meets the eye.”


"Do you really think so?"


"And the attention is just going to get more, you know that, right?"


Bentley sighed, trying to pick one of the questions buzzing round his head. In the end he landed on: "What do I need to do to stop this?"


"Return the ring," said Norman. "Find it, give it back, case closed."

Comments