Bidding Wars – Bentley 48

 


[For back story go here: Story so far at 30 Nov 2020 and definitely this one.]

[Relevant back story also in embedded links.]


There were worse things than trying to get everyone together on a Zoom call to bid for the key he’d found in the shoe. Trying to carry out the bidding process in a room with everyone actually in the room, for example, that would be a complete disaster. Imagine having to deal with Shiela, in real life, huffing and sighing and going on about how they used to be married and had an unbreakable bond between them. Norman simpering in the corner, wondering if he could bid with someone else’s money - Shiela’s money probably - while trying to impress Shiela as well.


Meanwhile in the other corner of the room, Jeremy Knowles, equally keen to get hold of the key and probably on the phone to someone, someone with money and an alternative motive for stumping up the cash.


And then there was Lawrence. Probably a mistake to invite him but why not? Bentley was naturally suspicious of Lawrence. The kid wasn’t straight with anyone and Bentley wasn’t even certain the ring action was something he knew or cared about. Lawrence was an opportunist even when he didn’t know what the opportunity was: dive in now, ask questions later, try and make money out of it later still.


Bentley started his Zoom meeting and admitted each party one by one in no particular order. They couldn’t hide in corners. They couldn’t try and psych each other out - although a couple were actually trying, thought Bentley, sat staring intently at their cameras. Once they were all present he began.


“So,” he said. “I think we all know what we’re doing here and more specifically what’s up for grabs.”


“If I may stop you there,” interrupted Knowles. “We are talking about my key. My key that was in my possession and that for some reason or other you now have. I don’t recognise this bidding process, I recognise theft.”


“Ha!” said Sheila from her window. “Theft is all you know. And you’d know nothing of that key if we hadn’t drawn your attention to it.”


“So why draw my attention to it?”


Good question there, thought Bentley. “Good question, there,” said Bentley.


“You don’t know when you’re being played,” spat Sheila.


“I run a crazy golf course,” spat back Knowles. “Play is all I know.”


“Well,” said Lawrence, “if no one else is doing this I’ll start at fifty quid, dad.”


“Don’t ‘dad’ me,” said Bentley, “and don’t insult me either. Fifty quid isn’t on the starting blocks, let alone in the ball park.”


“You don’t know what the key is, do you?” asked Shiela. 


“It has some worth,” said Lawrence. “So it must be worth having.”


“I think I might be able to provide some insight here as to what the key represents, if that’s of any interest,” said Norman.


“Shut up, Norman,” said everyone else.


“Let’s cut to the chase,” said Knowles. “Bentley has something we all want. I’d like to propose I go round there, punch his lights out, take what’s mine. Or whoever’s. We can sort out the details afterwards. But I’ll do the punching first. Soon as, if you’re keen.”


Unfortunately for Bentley there seemed to be some positive take up for this idea, so he tried to stamp it out. 


“You’ve lost the element of surprise,” he said. “Chances of you overpowering my home defences and getting what you need are non existent.”

 

“So how are we going to do this?” asked Norman. “What do we need to do?”


“I need to know if you’re worthy,” said Bentley. “And right now I don’t think anyone is. Where did the key come from and if it does open the box what next? That’s what this is about. And I don’t think any of you knew where it was or how it has come into my possession.”


A silence descended on the windows. Bentley cast his gaze from one to the other. Hesitating longer on Knowles and Lawrence. But none of them appeared to be cracking.


Lucky chose to break the moment by jumping up on Bentley’s lap with a mew and making an appearance in his screen. 


“Aw,” said Knowles, “Is that Ginger Spice?”


“No!” said Lawrence, “It’s Covid, right?


“Wrong!” said Shiela. “The cat’s called Lucky.”


“Oh,” said Knowles. “Different cat?”


“Same cat,” said Bentley. “Different name. Shows how much you know.”


He was about to say more, but then something happened. “RingDreamer28” arrived in the virtual lobby, and waited to join the meeting. Which was fair enough, except that Bentley had no idea who “RingDreamer28” was.

Comments