A Change is as good – Wayne 45

 


[For back story go here: Story so far at 30 Nov 2020 and this one.]

[Other back story through in-links.]


“I thought you said it didn’t matter?” said Dave, more than slightly annoyed that they were still talking about this.


“It doesn’t matter,” said Wayne, “I’m just interested.”


“People like songs or they don’t,” said Dave. “Don’t think about it too much.”


But Wayne was thinking about it too much. “I just want that recognition,” he said. “You know, for us.”


“We don’t need it.” said Dave. “Honestly.”


“It’s not very you, through is it?” commented Cath later the same day. “That might be all it is, people don’t know it’s you. Even your fans don’t know it’s you.”


“Got my name on it,” said Wayne. “And Jezzy’s. Is that not enough?”


“Plus it was for Valentine’s but came out after it,” added Cath. “Maybe that was it.”


“If it wasn’t ‘me’ what do you think is ‘me’?” asked Wayne, putting Cath on the spot and knowing it.


Cath wondered what the best response would be here. Should she actually be trying to get Wayne to follow a particular route she could market? Nowadays it was more about what he wanted to do and she would try and make it work. Also she really didn’t want her response to become part of a song, online, live or anywhere else.


“You have integrity above everything else,” she said diplomatically. “You’re about belief. Self belief. One hundred per cent belief in yourself. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. So whatever you do, as long as you believe in it, it’s alright.”


There was the problem, thought Wayne. What did he actually believe in right now? Was his love not enough or was it just not the right thing to believe in? And why did this matter so much to him now?


“Have I lost my following?” he asked Cath.


“Don’t think so,” she said. “Social media is still looking good and responsive. You’re regularly posting and the numbers are the same. Nothing to worry about.”


“So it’s just a duff track?” said Wayne. “So shall I put out my usual thing and see if that works?”


“It’s like when I come up with a new dish,” said Dave, later still. “Sometimes it works straight off, sometimes I need to change it up a bit and sometimes I just have to drop it. Doesn’t bother me if no one eats it - I just have to move on.”


“Who cares what the Guardian reviewer bloke says or doesn't?” said Jezzy, later that evening. “You do what you wanna and look how you wanna. Enough people run with it, right?”


That was enough to trigger Wayne. He did know if he was currently was looking like he wanna’d. It was time to get a new look. Something street, something radical. Something startling. Without a second’s hesitation he was off online searching for something, anything that could change up his image and his style. He wouldn’t go down the usual trainer pathways, the sportswear, the designers, he was looking for something individual, something that would stand out from the crowd and show everyone who he was.


“Steady on,” said Dave, regarding the various shopping baskets Wayne had now amassed. “I don’t mean to spoil this spree but we’re not entirely out of the woods yet. I’m sure everyone appreciates your efforts to get the retail side of the economy up and running but like I say, don’t over do it.”


Wayne looked at his choices. “I don’t think any of that is at all unnecessary,” he said. “Can always send it back if it doesn’t fit.”


“Or if it proves to be too colourful,” put in Dave with a slight smile.


“Is it too colourful? I was going for something different.”


“Objective achieved.”


“You know what,” said Wayne suddenly, “I know what’s going on here now. I’m reinventing myself.”


“As a wallpaper swatch?”


Wayne ignored this and was again taken up by his driving thoughts. If the song was different he would be different too. If the current lot of fans didn’t go for it, why not go out and get another load of fans who did? It was just music, it wasn’t like he would have to change himself, he’d just explore a new side of himself, or create a new side of himself. The only question was who would this other side be? 


Elton John circa 1972 by the look of it,” said Dave.


But Wayne was now already dealing up Jezzy: “Mate, mate we need a new name. We’re gonna be something different. Something new. Something... else.”


Dave smiled. Yeah, Wayne would be something else alright. As soon as the parcels began to arrive.

Comments