Piecing It Together – Jenny 43



[For back story go here: Story so far at 30 Nov 2020 and this one.]

[For other back story click in-links] 



Jenny was impressed and she said so. Whether this had any actual impact on Helen was hard to discern but nevertheless she wanted to use the opportunity to show that she thought her daughter had done well with both her creativity and business acumen. 


Helen had been producing pictures which were based on classics but then offered a twist. She mixed styles and media remaining true to the original piece of art but still creating something original herself. The pictures were mainly rural landscapes (this seemed to be particularly important to people stuck in lockdown) but there were other portraits and urban images as well.


“How long have you been doing this?” Jenny asked as the two surveyed the stack of finished pieces ready to be mailed out.


“Since Christmas, but it really only took off in the last two weeks,” said Helen. “I guess I had some stock built up and getting it online just meant there was no delay in getting it out there. It’s really built some momentum now.”


Indeed the followers and feedback was impressive, even for Jenny who frankly wasn’t sure what it all meant. And if the resulting funds made Helen happy then that was all for the good.


“And this is all above board, right?” asked Jenny. 


“Yes.”


“And you’re keeping up with school work?”


A more exasperated “Yes.”


“And you’re not doing anything wrong are you?”

“Mum!” Helen shouted at Jenny's back as Jenny left the room, hurriedly.


"She’s actually doing better than me,” said Jenny to Izzy later over coffee. “I guess that’s OK but…”


“You’re a plumber,” noted Izzy. “Or hoping to be. No one wants a plumber in their house at the moment unless they really need one. And if they really need one I’m afraid they’re not going to want you. No offence but you’re not that experienced. Or qualified.”


“I’m not qualified to make a cup of tea,” said Jenny glumly.


“Oh I don’t know,” said Izzy. “I’d give you a four star rating and leave you positive feedback.”


Jenny smiled without humour. “Honestly I don’t know why I gave up work. This was meant to help me do a whole load of others things, wasn’t it? Cycling, new career, whatever. Instead…”


“We're in the middle of a pandemic,” pointed out Izzy. “Not like you can just go out and knock on doors. Without getting arrested that is.”


Jenny sighed. “Maybe I should volunteer for something. Help with the vaccination programme or something. Anything would be better than sitting here waiting for something to happen. Or for lockdown to lift.”


“But then if you go on the frontline you might find you’re not allowed to hang out with us,” said Izzy. “And it would certainly make things difficult for Peter and Jude wouldn’t it? I mean if there was any emergency or something they needed you for..?”


“So I’m just sitting here waiting on the off-chance, right?”


"Not on the off-chance," said Izzy. "More like a coiled spring."


Jenny felt a sudden surged of annoyance, got up and left the room. She wanted to storm out of the house but even that wasn’t really an option. She could stand in the garden and scream she supposed but even that didn’t appeal any more. She’d done her screaming, done her praying to some forgetful god or other and now she wanted something back. Something for her.


She found herself in the spare room, surrounded by boxes full and empty ready for Helen to use. Maybe she could start in on the junk they needed to sort. Maybe she could bring meaning to everything by starting to chip away at everything here. 


Izzy appeared at the door.


“I mean it,” she said. “We need someone to be around and ready to help. I’ve been busy and... well, not exactly easy to be with. But Peter’s going to need you and Helen needs you more than she's ever going to let on. I know it feels like nothing’s happening but loads is happening and it’s happening because you’re there to oversee it.”


“Everything I do is wrong,” said Jenny. “I try and do something nice for Peter, I check in on what Jenny’s doing - head bitten off every time. I try and be a plumber and I’m now thinking what kind of idiotic thing was I thinking of? It’s just crazy.”


Izzy stepped forward and gave her a hug. “It’s gonna work out,” she said. “We’ll be here at the end and we’ll be amazed by how we’ve come through.”


Jenny hugged her back. “You’re right,” she nodded. “You’re right.”


Izzy reached behind Jenny as the hug continued.


“Meanwhile,” she said. “How about a jigsaw?”

Comments