Unfair Play – Wayne 34

 


[For back story go here: Story so far at 17 Sept 2020 and certainly this one.]

[Other back story through in-links.]



"So when can I do the gig?"


"The gig? What gig?"


"You know what gig – the bedroom gig, the personal gig – the one you've been going on at me for ages to do. The competition gig thing."


"Front room gig, not bedroom. Bedroom could be something entirely different..."


"You know what I mean. When is it on?"


"Well, I don't know..."


"What go your mean you don't know?"


"You do realise the pandemic is still going on? We can't just knock on someone's door and..."


“We can perform in someone's house when they've had the vaccine…”


“Don’t be… Wayne, to begin with the first people getting anything are old age pensioners in care homes and I'm not sure they're ready for an evening of ManzDown grime music, are you?"


"Then find me something to do. And soon!"


"The New Year – " said Cath, "This is going to be your year –“


But Wayne had already hung up. 


He flicked through a few apps and scrolled social media for a while. Then he texted Dave and said he might as well come down and help out – there was nothing else for him to do. Dave had reopened the takeaway and, positioned on a comparatively popular route into town, was at least doing something, thought Wayne. It might just be flipping burgers but they were good quality burgers and he would be doing something useful for someone. He was tempted to take a guitar down with him and busk for a bit but then decided he wasn't in the mood.


The current tier had reduced footfall around the town quite effectively. For every one person on their way to the shops Wayne guessed there were half a dozen couriers dropping packages at doorsteps. And no doubt for every person standing in line at Wayne's burger trailer there would be three or four cyclists, powering around with a food crate on their back.


Half-way to his destination Wayne's phone went off. Answering it without really thinking he found himself saying hello to Cassie. And having said hello, and slowing to a complete stand still he found he was unable to say anything else for a while.


"I know what you're thinking," said Cassie, "and I know what you must be going through. But I had to do it. And I'm not regretting it."


Wayne finally found his voice. "OK," he said. "First I don't believe you do know what I'm going through, second I don't see why you had to do it and if this happens as I think it will I will make sure you regret it for the rest of your life."


"In a way I'm doing it for you," said Cassie. "We want to get your story out there and make it easier for other people like you. Don't you see what kind of a figurehead you could be?"


"Seriously?" Said Wayne. "You think you're doing me a favour? If I'm going to be a figurehead it's up to me what kind of figurehead I am."


"You are who you are," asserted Cassie. "Don't run away from it."


"So you're telling me the guy in the park is going to write a lovely touchy-feely understanding and sympathetic piece about me and my feelings? Do me a favour, we both know what these people are after and what they'll do."


"Well, why not come and talk to him?” said Cassie. "Work with him and give him your side of the story."


"How much money is he giving you? How much has he already given you?"


Cassie was quiet for a moment.


"Was I not giving you enough?" asked Wayne.


"I can make it go away," said Cassie.


"For how much money?" assked Wayne. "


"For a significant Christmas present," said Cassie. "We can agree on something."


"But would that really be the end of it?"


Through gritted teeth, compromising phrases and tentative suggestions they finally arrived at an agreement on the next step. They would meet at the German Christmas Market set up in a nearby town square. They would both be there alone with little or no agenda or expectations and see what happened.


"Just one thing," said Wayne before he hung up. "Are you really my mother?"


But that was one of Cassie's last bargaining chips and she wasn't letting it go just yet.


Comments