Collaborative Thinking – Wayne 27


[For back story go here: Story so far at 17 Sept 2020.]

[Back story and cultural references also found through in-links.]




The ducks didn't seem happy today. Maybe it was because fewer people were venturing out and therefore they were getting less attention than usual. A few waddled in his direction, supposing that he had something for them, but he had nothing. Not even bread which you weren't meant to give them anyway. The idea of turning up with a packet of peas crossed his mind, but then he knew Dave would think fresh peas were wasted on ducks, and frozen ones might actually do them more harm than bread unless he’d already defrosted them. And how dumb would that look at home?


As usual Cassie was late, but Wayne decided that really it was because he was bang on time or even early. It made a change for him, or at least a change from where he used to be. Back in the old days when he’d use his notoriety to allow him to dictate the speed at which things went. He alone would determine when meetings were held, when the action would start on stage or in the recording studio. Although all that was just to make a bit of a point since he only ever delayed by fifteen minutes at most. He might want respect for himself but he also wanted to respect the people who were putting themselves out for him.


"That song," Cassie said, once the usual catch-ups were out the way, "The one you put out. Do you think it was fair?"


"What do you mean?"


"Well you were pretty harsh on Phillis I thought. Not really all her fault and the question you asked – who am I – isn't really one for her, don't you think?"


"Well, it's all very much from the time – how I was feeling and stuff, you know?" said Wayne, feeling defensive now. "I mean who else was there?"


"There's me now," said Cassie, “and a whole album full of photos."


"Yeah, it is an album full," agreed Wayne.


"So I was thinking why not do an update to that song?"


Wayne paused. He didn't usually share or discuss work in progress but this was his mother and she was a huge part of where he thought he was going, so surely this should be an exception? 


"I'd help you if you want – only if you want," said Cassie. "Could arrange some strings for you if you like. Up the classical references a notch."


Wayne said nothing but nodded his head in a considering way. They could work together, why not? Bring themselves together more, get to know each other, get to know his background and it would make a great story. 


"I'm not sure how great a collaborator I am," he said. "I tend to work alone. Best for me – and really the only way I’ve ever done it."


"This could still be an experiment. Find something different. If it doesn’t work it doesn’t work and we walk away.”


“I have been working on the new album,” Wayne said hesitantly. “It’s sort of full of what’s been happening – to me and to everyone in general. A sort of state of the whatever – state of me, state of the country.”


“And what’s your conclusion?”


“Oh, there isn’t one,” said Wayne. “It’s all just questions and chaos.”


“I like the idea of question songs,” said Cassie. “There's been some classics. ‘Why?’ springs to mind.”


“You know of ACDC’s ‘Who Made Who?’. Might be worth a sample or two.” 


“‘Where is my mind’?” 


“Did you know Aretha Franklin did a song called ‘Who’s Zoomin Who?’” 


Wayne's phone went off. He answered it and found Dave on the other end in tears.


“I have to close it,” he said immediately in full flow, “It’s just not going to survive like this and everyone who works for me, what am I going to do..?”


Wayne immediately switched into calming mode and promised Dave he’d be back in the next half hour. He apologised to Cassie for cutting their meeting short and while she said it was OK and she understood, he could tell she was a little put out. But then she’d been late and at the end of the day she’d been late in his life as well. Wayne castigated himself for the swiftness with which he could start to be annoyed by her and reigned in his abrupt manner.


“Think about what I said about us working together,” said Cassie as they walked out of the park, briskly and distanced. “I think it could work well.”


“Yeah I’ll think about it, sure. And see you soon.”


“And I like the idea of the album,” she added. “Better than going and telling it all to the press, eh?”


Wayne agreed and they went their separate ways. It was only later when replaying the conversation that Wayne wondering if there had been an edge to Cassie’s last comment, or whether his own paranoia was just adding an undertow.

Comments