Hey, Wayne – Wayne 40

 


[For back story go here: Story so far at 30 Nov 2020 and this one.]

[Other back story through in-links.]


Q: What made you release 'Homely as'?


We just made it and wanted to get it out as soon as we could. It's a very ‘now' piece, right? I mean there's not gonna be many times when you can release a tune about making apple crumble and have it taken seriously, right? It's weird because it really came out of the blue. We were just messing around with some stuff and Jezzy was after some lyrics. I sent him over the recipe for a laugh and before I knew it he’d used it.


It makes a change from arguing over lyrics or getting all precious about them. I’m sure some people out there are scratching their heads over it and everything but I have only one thing to say to them. It could have been banana bread.



Q: Would it have worked as well with banana bread?


[ManzDown slaps his leg as he laughs hard] No man, no. Banana bread is so yesterday, you know? It’s like online parties and cocktails and stuff. That worked last time but this time round no one’s interested. They want the real thing if they can get it, real experience and real life. Any fake stuff is just a waste of everybody’s time and effort. Apple crumble? Man, that’s real isn’t it? It’s about family and being together and sharing something.


It’s also easier to rhyme.



Q: What's it like to be working with Jezzy?


He’s a good man. Great ideas. He’s always surprising me with stuff. I’d like be what are you thinking of doing with that and I’d have like three or four ideas and he’ll suddenly bowl me a curve ball or something and before you know it it’s gone in an entirely different direction. [ManzDown illustrates this through a bit of dodging and diving].


I’ve always wanted to do different stuff with my music, you know. I’ve never stood still in one place even if people have told me it’s fine and great as it is. When I play live it’s the same. I ain’t gonna play the same song the same way – least I try not too. Sometimes people don’t notice but I’m constantly throwing in little differences, little bits of ideas that might work and stuff. And sometimes it really doesn’t work and you look like an idiot on stage, but I’d rather do that than be predictable and boring.



Q: Do you think BarnStormerz will be back?


They ain’t coming back from that, no. It was a big shame for the boys but let’s face it there’s no excuse. Something like that just undermines what you’re after but worse than that, other people think that it’ll be alright to say that kind of thing and it just isn’t on. Jezzy was the first to quit the band when it came out, that was before anything else happened so you know, the guy knows where he’s coming from and there’s no way he’s ever gonna do or say anything like that.


I wouldn’t work with him if I didn’t think he was sound and I know I’ve been taking some flack for that online and stuff, but seriously the man is sound. People have gone on about picking your friends and being true to yourself and I’m like yeah – that’s me and Jezzy. All the way.



Q: How had lockdown been for you?


Interesting, stressful, hard and productive. I’ve learned new things and found out more about myself and stuff. I also know how lucky I am cos you know I have good friends around me and people who’ll look out for me and stuff. That’s really important at the moment I think so I’m also trying to give some of that back too. Sometimes that’s with the music, sometimes it’s money and sometimes it’s just hanging out with people online. Whatever people need, if I can help I’m there.



Q: What's your lockdown luxury?


Ummm, being busy. How about that? Used to be that time was a luxury, now we just have way too much of it. The problem is that lockdown just feels like everything’s stopped. No one goes anywhere or does anything whatever – and that’s true. But me? I’m still making stuff, putting in out there, trying stuff out, you know? So yeah, that’s my luxury. And apple crumble.



Q: How did you feel when your mum spoke to the press?


I, er…. No comment. Interview is over. Thanks. [ManzDown gets up]



Q: Is the front room gig going to go ahead?


[ManzDown logs out. Interview is over.]

Comments