Furious Tea – Daniel 8



[For back story see lower numbers in archive]

On balance Sandra’s mistake hadn’t been that bad. At least that was what Daniel said to anyone who asked. Essentially she had two mailing lists – one for press and for clients – industry suppliers. A quick slip of the finger and the full details of Daniel’s company’s new app and everything it could do went straight to their nearest and sharpest competitors.

“It’s OK,” he said, resolutely looking on the bright side. “We’ll have just scared the living daylights out of them. Shown them what we’re capable of and what they need to aspire to. Honestly.”

Nadia had admired his resilience here but Chrissy, now on the video channel, did not. “She’s taking you for a ride,” she said disparagingly, “But then that’s pretty easy to do, isn’t it?”

“What the hell do you mean by that?” said Daniel.

“Nothing. Nothing at all,” replied Chrissy, that smile playing across her face. “Are you still doing the wonderful Joe Wicks or have you betrayed him and run off with Mark Wright?”

“Eh?” Said Daniel.

“Just wondered who you’re working out with this week. You’ve got a choice haven’t you? Both at the same time too, nothing like a bit of competition, eh?”

“We watch Joe Wicks. Or rather Daisy does. I sort of take part – but it is for her, entirely for her.”

“I bet. I also bet you’re admiring your abs in the mirror every time you have a chance.”

“Did you call me just to wind me up?” asked Daniel, “Or is there actually a point to all this?”

“Just checking in with my Covid buddy,” said Chrissy. “Wanted to make sure you’re OK and Daisy’s still alright. You feeding her proper food now or are you stuck on Krispies still?”

“Look, I was thinking, I’m sure it’s OK for you to come and get her now. I mean no one’s going to penalise you for travelling that distance to collect your daughter and bring her back to her usual home are they?”

“Dunno,” said Chrissy sceptically. “It is a long way and since you’re doing alright together I’d find it hard to justify really. I mean, we might spread something.” – joy definitely not being one of those things, thought Daniel to himself.

“Look, you’re doing really well together and there’s no real emergency, is there?”

“You should see my flat,” said Daniel grimly. “It might not be an emergency yet but it’s not far off. And you’ve got all her toys and the rest of her clothes.”

“You could order more things,” countered Chrissy. “She enjoyed the Talking Tea Set, didn’t she? She even enjoyed opening it so you’d get double the pleasure if you bought her some stuff. She could even choose it herself.”

“But a change of scenery and being in her usual home…”

“It’s nice for her to think of your place as her home too,” said Chrissy, “and it’s not like she’d be going back to school even if she were here, don’t you think?”

“I think – I think it’s your turn,” said Daniel, finally being direct. “I think I have done my bit – more than my bit and it’s time you did something more than just – just this!”

There was a slight pause at the other end of the line. Just long enough, Daniel realised for Chrissy to shift a gear and tap into the next part of her prepared argument.

“I, I wasn’t going to tell you this, because I thought you’d get worried but – I think we might be going down with something.”

“What? How? You’ve been in lockdown for weeks, neither of you have had any contact with anyone – if you haven’t been ill yet then how can you possibly..?”

“Well, we’re not sure of course, but Andrew started coughing on Monday and he’s not looking at all well.”

“Look at me!” part yelled Daniel, going up close to the camera, “you honestly think I look at all well? Stop stalling and face up to your responsibilities. For once!”

Chrissy sighed. “This is exactly why I didn’t want you to be part of my life any more,” she said, “and why I worry about how you’re bringing up Daisy…”

“THEN COME AND GET HER!” Yelled Daniel, now not caring if Daisy did wake up.

“I’m going to finish this conversation now,” said Chrissy. “I’m sorry you’re unable to talk reasonably about this, you’ve had every chance to do so. But I also need to inform you that at the moment, in two weeks time, as long as everything continues well, I’m going to Germany for work. You’ll look after Daisy of course.”

And she clicked off the call. 

Daniel stood there. He really really wanted to smash something, throw something, overturn something. But given what was happening to his immediate surroundings he didn’t.

He went and made a cup of tea. And it was furious.

Comments